There are many amazing things about Maine and for today’s A-Z Blogging Challenge, I wanted to highlight a couple interesting trivia facts about the state.
- We rule when it comes to craft beer. Even without all the other wonderful reasons to live here, I could have convinced my husband to move to Maine on this fact alone. Portland, Maine is the best city in the country for beer lovers. According to SmartAsset and their article “The Best Cities for Beer Drinkers” by Nick Wallace, Portland, Maine has the highest number of microbrewies per capita. And, if this accolade wasn’t enough, we were just named the top craft beer city in the world by the travel site Matador Network! It’s no surprise that we scored so high on this one. Visiting tasting rooms is a regular activity for us.
- We are the opposite of landlocked. Maine has more shoreline than California. We do have quite the craggy coastline and it adds up quick. According to InfoPlease, Maine has 3,478 miles to California’s 3,427 miles. Much of our shore is rocky, but all of it is stunningly beautiful.
- We grow our own superfood. Maine is the largest producer of wild blueberries in the world, although 99% of the crop is frozen and used as a food ingredient so when they’re fresh you better act fast and enjoy them. For more information on wild blueberries in Maine, check out this University of Maine Fact Sheet, or this post by Sarah Klein in the Huffington Post “7 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Blueberries“. Or, checkout my previous blog post about my memories of blueberry picking with my grandmother.
- We are covered in trees. Not only does Maine have the highest percentage of forest of any state at 90%, but we have more trees now than we did 100 years ago according to the FAQs on Forest for Maine’s Future website.
- We love our cats and even have our own breed. Maine is the number one state for cat lovers according to this Estately Blog Post by Ryan Nickuum, That’s no surprise since we even have our own state cat the Maine Coon.Check out my Instagram Site if you want proof on this last fact. You might spy a few cat, and dog, pictures mixed in with all the Maine scenery ones. We Mainers love our animals.
There are so many other weird, random, and just plain fun facts about the state, but that’s all I have for now. Do you have a favorite trivia fact about where you’re from?
I’m participating in a Blogging A-Z Challenge for April 2016. I will be posting new content every day except Sundays. Each post is associated with a letter of the alphabet, starting with A and ending with Z. My theme for the challenge is Life in Maine, and each post will in some way relate to Maine. There are over 1500 other bloggers participating in the challenge. Click HERE to learn more.