I survived my first A to Z Blogging Challenge and I’m feeling pretty happy with myself. I was confident that I would finish as I’ve always had good follow through on projects, but the real question was would I scrape by and limp towards the finish line. While I feel like I did in fact finish strong, I had to step back and wait a week before tackling this reflections post so maybe there was a small bit of limping at the end.
Being new to blogging I had set some personal goals with participating in my first challenge.
- Build Content for my Site. I now have content on my site. I really do! Although I hope to look back someday with thousands of posts under my belt and think how cute it was that I was excited when I hit 26 posts. But until that time, I’m going to celebrate this milestone.
- Write Consistently. Coming up with 26 days of content forces you to write consistently which makes the process more comfortable. I still haven’t quite figured out my transition to a normal blogging schedule but I’m not afraid of a blank screen. I filled up 26 of them.
- Improve My Writing Skills. I recognize that I still have a lot of work to do in this area, but I definitely saw myself getting better as the challenge progressed. While writing every day certainly helped, visiting some of the other amazing writing blogs participating in the challenge was equally helpful.
- Develop My Blogging Voice. This is another area that will continue to evolve and improve, but the challenge certainly helped. Having a post go up each day, allowed me to focus on finding my authentic voice. It still needs some tweaking but at least I know it’s going in the right direction.
- Connect with Other Bloggers. I found that the majority of my time during this challenge was spent trying to visit as many other blogs as I could. While time-consuming, it was rewarding and probably one of the biggest benefits of the challenge. It showed me the larger blogging universe and gave me the opportunity to connect with other bloggers.
- Highlight Maine. As my blog is focused on all things Maine, I wanted to show my love for the state. The challenge helped me to dig a little deeper and even come up with content I might not have thought about if I wasn’t looking for something for a few of those harder letters.
Now that I’ve reached my A to Z Blogging goals, it’s time to set some new ones. Before I move onto my next challenge, whether externally defined like this one was, or internally motivated, here is a recap of what I did in the month of April 2016.
Click on any picture to jump to a slide show with hyperlinks to the A to Z Challenge Post associated with that image.
As I finish up this recap, I also wanted to thank all my fellow bloggers from the challenge for the support and encouragement they provided during my first A to Z Blogging Challenge. It helped me to stay motivated and on track. For that, I am truly grateful.